Saturday, 23 January 2016

Review of All the Bright Places

Title: All the Bright Places
Author: Jennifer Niven

Blurb:

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

 
(Blurb taken from Goodreads)

My Review:

All the Bright Places is about a girl, Violent, and a boy, Finch, who are dealing with their own personal problems.Violent is a quiet girl on the edge of the popular group, whilst Finch has always been an outsider and is seen as a weirdo. At first, it appears to be a typical YA love story yet it was so much more than that. 

They meet at the top of a bell tower, with Violent contemplating jumping off. Finch saves her and in that moment, they influence each other more than the other knows. Following that, the two work together on a school project where they have to discover wonders of Indiana. 

Whilst completing the project they get closer and soon become involved romantically. Finch pushes Violent out of her comfort zone whilst Violent gives Finch a reason to live. They both believe that they can save each other, however it's never that simple. They have had to deal with complicated things in their lives.

As you read the book, you find yourself really longing for the characters to find their 'happy ever after'. I found myself becoming incredibly attached to both Finch and Violent and I hoped that they would find a way through their problems.

I have never cried fully at a book before but this one really did touch my heart and I spent the evening balling my eyes out. The story is beautifully told and the characters are ones that stick with you long after you close the final page.

The plot touches some sensitive issues such as life, death and love. This book will stay with me for many years and I could re-read it over and over again. I truly fell in love with the plot and characters and the story is beautifully written. It is definitely in my top three books; and is possibly even my number one.

X X X X X 


6 comments:

  1. Ahh I've heard such good things about this one! I'm so excited to see that you really liked it. I have it on hold at the library, so hopefully I get the chance to read it soon! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon - I loved it! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah I've read this! It's such a good read. I like how it touches sensitive subjects, as it's always important to make people aware of these things as life isn't always great. Great review x

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought the same! It's such a good read! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like my kind of book, I think Ill have to add it too my wish list

    CharlotteSamantha // www.charlottesamantha.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, it's brilliant! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one!